The spices make this stew pop for sure, but the combination of leek, potatoes, onions and beans always create a sense of homecoming for me. There's nothing like the power of food to warm not just one's palate, but one's soul as well. Everyone who tried this stew absolutely loved it, and I'm sure you will too:)
Total prep and cooking time: 1 1/2 hours
Feeds: About 4 - Want more?, double it up!
- 1 can cannellini or navy beans (drained)
- 1lb potatoes, skinned, rinsed and diced up
- 3 tblsp vegetable or olive oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 leeks (sliced)
- 8 oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tblsp tomato paste
- 4 cups gluten free vegetable broth
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tblsp fresh cilantro (rinsed and chopped)
- Salt and Pepper as desired
- Heat the oil in a deep, heavy pot (or dutch oven). Add the potatoes, onion and leeks and cook for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are pale golden (stirring occasionally).
- Stir in the garlic, cumin and paprika and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Then add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the beans, cover, and lower the heat to simmer for about 1 hour.
- Before serving, stir in the cilantro and as much salt and pepper as desired.
- Be prepared to be comforted and enjoy!