Saturday, April 2, 2011

Gluten Free Lemon Pork Ragout

Ragout is a French term referring either to a main-dish stew, or to a sauce for noodles or any other starchy food.  The basic method of preparing a good ragout involves slow cooking over low heat.  This dish is exactly that!  I've never made a meal like this before, since I'm typically into things I can whip up in a jiffy.  It took a bit of preparation, a pinch of patience, a whole lot of TLC, and was completely worth all the fuss!  It is extremely hearty, delicious, and will likely result in leftovers you'll enjoy for days.

I didn't have ground coriander or saffron powder, but I did have whole coriander and saffron threads, so I put them in a pestle and mortar and ground them up.  If you can, get really small lemons with small seeds.  I tried to de-seed my big lemons the best I could, but a couple made it through.  Although they became soft after being cooked for so long, I wasn't too fond of their taste or texture.  Who knows though, you might like it.  This makes enough for 6 good meals. 

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 - 3 lb boneless lean pork shoulder, but into 2-inch pieces 
  • 2 tsp canola oil
  • 2 tsp dried cumin
  • 2 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 tsp saffron powder
  • 2 garlic cloves (minced)
  • 1 large yellow onion (chopped)
  • 1 tsp GF flour (I used Bob's Red Mill All Purpose GF Baking Flour)
  • 1 1/4 cups GF broth (I used Trader Joe's Organic Chicken Broth)
  • 2/3 cups golden raisins
  • 2 lemons, peeled, cut into quarters, plus extra slices for garnishing purposes
  • 2 tsp grated lemon zest (do this before peeling)
  • 6 Italian plum tomatoes, quartered

Cooking Directions:
  1. Marinade the pork with the oil, cumin, coriander, saffron, and garlic in a shallow dish for about 30 minutes.
  2. In a large nonstick pan, saute the pork pieces in small batches over medium-high heat. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside in a bowl.
  3. Add the onion to the pan and saute for 1-2 minutes over medium heat.
  4. Sprinkle the GF flour over the sauteed onions, then add the broth, golden raisins, lemon, lemon zest, and tomatoes.
  5. Return the meat to the pan. Stir, cover, and let simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally and adding more broth if needed.
  6. Serve with extra lemon slices, rice, or side salad.
  7. Enjoy!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment