Saturday, April 2, 2011

Tuna Steaks & Marinated Bean Salad

This one is super easy! And super tasty! You can make this meal, from start to finish, in about 30 minutes. I had a couple of tuna steaks and a variety of canned beans on hand, so I went searching through my cookbooks to find a way to put them together. I found this particular recipe in an "Essentials" book on Fish & Seafood that I picked up from the bargain rack at Borders.  It had a lot of nice pictures in it, which is exactly what I look for in a cookbook.  I can't stand cookbooks that are all words and no pictures.  Not that there aren't great all-word cookbooks out there, but the visual-learner side of me likes to see what my end product should look like.  I'm not big into surprises when it comes to getting my grub on, especially when I have guests coming over:)

I used the beans I had on hand in my cupboard, but you can use any kind of beans.  The original recipe calls for a can of sweet corn, something I'll incorporate the next time I make this (even if just for the visual appeal). You can also keep it uber-easy and just use a couple cans of marinated beans instead of making the dressing yourself.  


INGREDIENTS 
  • 2-4 Tuna Steaks
  • 2 tblsp  olive oil
  • 3 cans mixed beans and/or sweet corn
  • Sea Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper

Dressing Ingredients
  • 6 tblsp extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 tblsp balsamic vinegar (make sure it's GF)
  • 1 tblsp  lime juice 
  • 1 garlic clove (chopped)
  • 1 tsp fresh coriander (1/2 tsp if dry)
  • Salt & Pepper

Cooking Instructions
  1. Preheat frying pan on medium high heat 
  2. Brush the tuna steaks with olive oil and apply generous amounts of sea salt and ground pepper to each side
  3. Cook the tuna for about 2 minutes then turn over and cook for another two minutes (or to taste), and remove from heat. Don't overcook the tuna, since it keeps cooking after being removed from the heat
  4. While the tuna is cooling, heat the beans/corn on the stove (according to the directions on the can), and drain.
  5. Put all the "dressing" ingredients in a bowl and stir it up good
  6. Put the beans/corn in large bowl and pour in 1/2 of the dressing. Mix it up
  7. Serve the bean mix along side the tuna and then drizzle the remaining dressing over the whole meal
  8. Garnish with some sliced limes and parsley if you want to show off to friends
  9. ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment