Saturday, April 2, 2011

Gluten Free Sunshine Colcannon


After the last post I went to the store and purchased Betty Crocker's GF Brownie Mix.  Just like the chocolate chip cookies, the brownies were great!  I can't wait to try all of their new GF products:)

It's almost the beginning of the semester. This is my last year taking classes; only three more to go before dissertation.  This week was my last at Social Work Counseling Services. It was sad emptying out my office and closing out my cases, but I'm looking forward to what's ahead. It should be a busy year, but I can't wait to get it going!

As usual I've been cooking and baking up a storm.  This dish was really easy to put together.  I call it "Sunshine Colcannon" because the eggs look like little suns:) It tasted wonderful and was super filling.  I just love these traditional Irish meals... such great comfort food.  Feel free to use whatever cheese you prefer, and if you have an allergy to eggs, just leave them out.  

Ingredients
  • 2 pounds potatoes (chopped up)
  • 1/2 pound crisp green cabbage - any variety (shredded)
  • 2 green onions (chopped)
  • 4 large eggs
  • 4 oz. mature cheese (grated)
  • butter or margarine (according to taste)
  • nutmeg (according to taste) - I used about 1/4 tsp.
  • sea salt and fresh ground pepper (according to taste)










Directions
  1. Boil the potatoes until just tender - drain them and smash em up!
  2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
  3. Lightly cook the cabbage until just tender but still crisp. I cooked it in some olive oil and water, covering to steam a little.
  4. Drain the cabbage and mix them with the potatoes.  Add the onions, butter, nutmeg and S&P and mix together well.
  5. Transfer the mixture into a shallow ovenproof dish and make four potholes in the mixture. Crack an egg into each hole and season well.
  6. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the eggs are just set.  Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese.
  7. Grab a bottle of Redbridge, some family or friends, and chow down!!


No comments:

Post a Comment